World  | 

Fireworks Blast Kills 8 in China

Officials say resident set off fireworks improperly near store in Jiangsu province
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Feb 16, 2026 2:02 PM CST
Fireworks Blast Kills 8 in China
Visitors walk past an illuminated horse lantern display ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026.   (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)

An explosion and fire at a fireworks shop in eastern China killed eight people and left two others with minor burns ahead of the Lunar New Year, authorities said. The Sunday afternoon blast in a village in Jiangsu province was caused by a resident setting off fireworks improperly near the store, the Donghai county government said in a statement. It did not provide further details on what happened, the AP reports. Setting off firecrackers at midnight on the Lunar New Year is a tradition in China, but many places have banned fireworks in recent years, at least in part because of air pollution. They may make a comeback in some places after some governments eased their bans last year.

The Lunar New Year, also known as the Spring Festival in China, falls on Tuesday. It will mark the start of the year of the horse in the Chinese zodiac. Following Sunday's explosion, the Ministry of Emergency Management urged all regions to strengthen the supervision of the production, transportation, sales, and use of fireworks to prevent future accidents. A ministry statement said that trying out fireworks and firecrackers around stores should be strictly prohibited and called on local governments to identify and eliminate blind spots "to ensure the people have a safe, auspicious and happy Spring Festival."

Read These Next
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X